When you imagine JELL-O cake, you probably think of some strange gelatin dessert that bounces back and forth when you poke it with a fork. Or, you might picture JELL-O served with cake on the side. If any of these images pop into your head, you are dead wrong!
This cake is like strawberry shortcake…on drugs.
I’m a chocoholic, but this famous recipe from my Aunt Terri doesn’t contain any chocolate. Not to mention, it’s my favorite homemade dessert that’s super-easy to make but wows guests every time.
Rather than try to explain it, I’ll give you a photo recap of how to create this light, moist cake. I promise that you’ll never make a standard box of yellow cake after you see how simple and delicious this cake is.
- 1 box of white cake mix and the ingredients needed to bake the cake
- 2 three-ounce boxes of sugar-free strawberry JELL-O mix (or 1 large box)
- 1 pound of fresh strawberries
- 2 eight-ounce tubs of fat-free Cool Whip
- Make cake according to the directions.
- Cool cake and then cut zig zags in the cake (looks like a criss-cross formation).
- Prepare both boxes of JELL-O with 2 cups of hot water and 2 cups of cold water; stir powder with water.
- Take a turkey baster and squirt the JELL-O mixture into the holes of the cake. Pour remaining mixture over the entire cake.
- Cut strawberries into slices.
- Frost the cake with both tubs of Cool Whip and place strawberries on top.
- Chill cake in the fridge for several hours.
- Dig in!
I always feel like a mad food scientist while making this recipe. Nothing quite compares to the strawberry-infused pink swirl in the white cake after it has cooled for several hours.
This cake disappears within a day in my house. Thank goodness Florida strawberry season is in full swing, which means I have an excuse to make another cake soon.
Until next time,