I know what you’re thinking.
¡Ay caramba! Another pita pocket recipe?
I’m sorry to overload you with pita recipes, and I promise that this will be the last one for a while. However, I must say that this was my favorite creation thus far.
My BFF basically told me that my other pita pocket recipes were a little too healthy for most people, so I decided to turn it down a notch and avoid any crazy flavor combinations. These taco-inspired pockets have a creamy ranch taste that everyone loves. However, I still kept everything pretty healthy by using whole-wheat pitas, ground sirloin, a yogurt-based dressing and a variety of veggies.
Not to mention, I found that pita pockets hold taco ingredients better than traditional shells. In other words, you won’t face the problem of taking one bite and everything falling out the other end of the taco.
Now go ahead and take that monstrous bite without the fear of failure…
Beefy Ranch Pita Pockets
- 1 whole-wheat pita pocket, cut in half
- 4 ounces (1/4 lb.) ground sirloin
- A handful of diced cucumbers
- A handful of diced green and red bell peppers
- A handful of chickpeas
- 1/4 cup broccoli slaw
- A handful of diced white onions
- 3 tablespoons ranch dressing (I used Bolthouse Farms’ Classic Ranch)
- 2 tablespoons guacamole, optional (I used Yucatan)
- 1 teaspoon of garlic
- One dash of each of these spices: cumin, chili powder, pepper and salt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Worchestire sauce
- 1/4 cup no salt added chicken stock (makes the beef juicy!)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Dice the veggies (except the broccoli slaw). Put the diced veggies, broccoli slaw and chickpeas in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Take the beef and put it in a separate bowl. Add the spices, Worchestire, garlic and lime juice to the bowl and use your hands to mix it all into the beef.
- Heat a medium-sized skillet to medium-high heat. Add the oil.
- When heated, add the beef to the skillet and break into crumbles with a wooden spoon. Stir occasionally until golden brown (About 7 minutes).
- When the beef is almost done, add the veggies to the skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Then, add the chicken stock and put the stove on low heat. Let the mixture simmer for 3 minutes.
- Take the mixture and add it back to the bowl that held the veggies. Add the ranch dressing and stir until well combined.
- Cut the pita in half and spread 1 tablespoon of guacamole in each pocket. Then, stuff each pocket with the beef and veggie mixture.
Don’t worry. I made this for dinner Thursday, so I’m not a bad Catholic who ate meat on Friday.
Until next time,