Sometimes, the simplest recipes are the best.
You won’t find any exotic foods or spices that cannot be pronounced in this meal, and I’m pretty sure you have all the ingredients in the kitchen. Despite using simple ingredients, this pasta dish is fresh and filled with flavor.
In addition to being fairly basic, this meal is also well-rounded in terms of nutrition; whole grains, fats, vegetables and protein will fill you up without filling you out.
Give it a try. I know it will become a staple in your recipe rotation.
Easy Chicken and Broccoli Pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 ounces chicken breast
- Dash of black pepper
- Dash of Italian seasoning
- Dash of salt
- 2 ounces of your favorite whole-wheat pasta
- 1/2 cup frozen baby broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons parmesan-romano grated cheese
- Red pepper flakes (optional; use if you want to add a little heat)
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the pepper, salt and Italian seasoning. Use your hands to make sure the all the chicken pieces are evenly coated with the oil and spices. Set aside.
- Fill a medium-sized pot halfway with water and bring the water to a boil.
- While waiting for the water to boil, heat a small skillet to medium-high heat. Once heated, add the chicken pieces. Stir fry the chicken for about 8 minutes or until the pieces are golden brown on all sides. Once cooked, remove from heat and set aside in a bowl.
- The water should be boiling at this point. Add the pasta and broccoli to the pot and bring to a boil again. Cook the pasta until it is “al dente” (about 7-8 minutes for most varieties).
- Once the pasta and broccoli are cooked, drain the water. Add the pasta and broccoli to the bowl with the chicken. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and stir all the ingredients together. Add the cheese and red pepper flakes and stir again until everything is evenly distributed.