I know it’s only Wednesday, but I can already tell that cooking new recipes is low on my priority list this week. My schedule is so full that every minute of each day is already planned until Saturday. I like organization and knowing what is next, but the lack of spontaneity is making me feel like a robot.
Not to mention, I’m completely exhausted. This morning I knew it was going to be a long day when I wanted to snooze in my 8:30 a.m. class. Unfortunately, I couldn’t “schedule in” a 20-minute power nap.
Anytime my schedule is really intense, I tend to reach for my standby foods to get me through. Even though I’m not providing new recipes, I hope this post gives you some ideas for on-the-go food items that will help you power through a rough week. Think of it as a must-have grocery list of healthy food items that are always good to have on hand.
I hope to post some of my “regular” meals later this week so you know how to pair these items to make a meal. Obviously, some of the items can belong to multiple meal categories. In other words, don’t feel guilty about eating a bowl of cereal for dinner!
- Kashi TLC chewy granola bars – my favorite flavor is Peanut Peanut Butter
- Special K Cinnamon Pecan cereal
- Cheerios – any kind
- Low-fat yogurt (Greek or regular) – I eat this plain, enjoy it with cereal on top for a crunch or sometimes use it to make overnight oats
- Quaker Apples and Cinnamon instant oatmeal packets
- Silk Pure Almond Unsweetned Vanilla almond milk
- Whole-wheat sandwich bread
- Smucker’s Natural creamy peanut butter
- Peanut Butter & Company’s Dark Chocolate Dreams peanut butter – the most heavenly creation known to peanut butter lovers
- Whole-wheat pita bread
- Honey Wheat Flatout wraps
- Yucatan’s Authentic Guacamole
- Hummus – my favorite is Sabra’s Roasted Red Pepper
- 16-ounce container of pico de gallo salsa
- Broccoli slaw – adds crunch to a wrap sandwich
- Green and red bell peppers
- 1/3 lb. Boar’s Head EverRoast chicken – goes well with ANY sandwich
- 1/3 lb. Boar’s Head Salsalito turkey – spicy!
- Cheese slices from the deli – white American, cheddar, swiss, provolone, monterey-jack or mozzarella (I get bored and like to switch it up)
- Baby-cut carrots.
- Mustard-any kind
- Red delicious and granny smith apples
- Navel oranges
- Emerald’s Cocoa Roast and Cinnamon Roast almonds (WARNING – you may eat these by the handful)
- Ghirardelli 72% cacao chocolate squares – a daily indulgence
- Frozen mangos – tastes like fruit popsicles
- Frozen blueberries
- Green Giant Healthy Weight frozen meals
- Frozen peas, broccoli florets and crinkle-cut carrots – add to frozen meals
- Canned chickpeas, black beans and great northern beans
- Hearts of romaine lettuce – for quick garbage bowl salads
- Chicken breast
- Ground sirloin
- Whole-wheat pasta or spaghetti
- Jar of pasta sauce – I like Barilla’s Arrabbiata – a.k.a. spicy marinara
- Can of diced tomatoes
- Can of no-salt-added tomato sauce
- Chicken stock
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sweet potato
- Cumin, pepper, salt, cinnamon, chili powder, oregano, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes
- What are your standby food items?
- What are your favorite on-the-go recipes?