No, I didn’t eat Wheaties, and I’m not an olympic athlete. However, this morning’s batch of über-chocolately overnight oats made me feel like I won the gold medal. Not to mention, the shuffle on my iPod decided to wake me up with Queen’s “We Are the Champions.”
Coincidence? I think not.
Needless to say, I felt like I could do anything after this powerhouse combo – run a few miles, tackle mounds of homework or even achieve world peace. Unfortunately, the only thing waiting for me was doing laundry, changing the sheets on my bed and taking my recycling downstairs. (By the way, Happy Earth Day!)
I would like to think that the wholesomeness of overnight oats is what boosted my energy level, but maybe I added a bit more honey to this batch than I usually do. Not to mention, I love chocolate in the morning, and I ate a banana with the oats.
Sugar high? Possibly.
Über-chocolately overnight oats
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- 4 ounces fat-free vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup Almond Breeze unsweetened chocolate almond milk (regular almond milk or fat-free dairy milk also work)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (I found them at Publix, and they really thicken the mixture!)
- 1 heaping tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tablespoon honey (or more…hehe)
- Mix oats, cocoa powder and chia seeds in a medium-sized bowl until everything is evenly distributed.
- Add the milk and stir.
- Then, add the yogurt and honey. Stir everything together. If it is too thick, add more milk.
- Cover the bowl, and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight (about 8 to 9 hours).
- If you want, add up to 1/4 cup milk to the mixture in the morning before eating.
- What breakfast makes you feel like a champion?
- What other foods do you turn to for a quick burst of energy?
- My Weird Obsession
- Whole-Wheat Blueberry Waffles
- Whole-Wheat Pumpkin Blueberry Pancakes
- Back in the Cooking Game