After a blogging hiatus filled with studying, packing and moving, I’m happy to say that I’m home in St. Petersburg and ready to start cooking again. It feels so nice to return to my huge kitchen. Not to mention, I finally have some taste testers for all the new recipes I’ve been collecting on my Pinterest board.
To kick things off, I thought I’d share a recipe from Peanut Butter Fingers that I’ve enjoyed at least three times in the last week and a half. I made some changes to the recipe to make it ooey and gooey with a hint of sweetness.
“Pretty Sweet” Toasted Egg and Cheese Sandwich
- 2 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread
- 2 eggs
- 1 slice cheese (I used Boar’s Head’s Vermont White Cheddar)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sugar strawberry jelly (I used Smucker’s)
- Handful of raisins
- Slices of Granny Smith apples
- Dash of cinnamon
- Fry two eggs in a small frying pan until cooked through. While the eggs are cooking, toast the bread.
- Spread the jelly and raisins on one slice of bread. Add the cinnamon on top.
- Cut thin apple slices and place on the jelly and raisins.
- Stack the eggs on top of everything. Add the cheese and complete the sandwich with the other slice of bread. Cut in half.
I know what you’re probably thinking. “Eggs and jelly?!? That’s gross.” I thought Julie was crazy after reading multiple Peanut Butter Fingers morning posts. However, I had almost a whole carton of eggs to eat before leaving Gainesville, so I figured I’d give the ol’ egg sandwich a try.
What I found is that the eggs and cheese give a savory taste while the jelly, raisins and apples add an unexpected tart and sweet element to the sandwich. Not to mention, the toasted bread and crunchy apples complement the fluffiness of the fried eggs. In other words, it’s a perfectly balanced sandwich that tastes good at any time of the day!
I ate this for dinner Wednesday, which isn’t surprising considering my love of breakfast for dinner. As you can see, I added some baby carrots and grapes to round out the meal.
Give it a try, and I promise you’ll want to add jelly to your eggs ALL the time … just like I’ve been doing. 🙂
- What is your favorite way to eat eggs?
- What is your favorite jelly flavor?
- Whole-Wheat Pumpkin Blueberry Pancakes
- Whole-Wheat Blueberry Waffles
- The Sophisticated Grilled Cheese Sandwich