Do you ever have one of those days when whatever food sitting in front of you becomes a meal? Well folks, that day was today for me.
When I opened the fridge, it looked like the Chiquita banana woman had dumped her hat on the shelves, so a big ol’ fruity summer salad with two hard-boiled eggs quickly became dinner.
I would have made something for the family, but everyone had already eaten by the time I arrived home after my first training session at Panera Bread. Just in case you’re wondering, I get freebies sometimes and a pretty sweet employee discount while I’m working. Today I came home with a strawberries and cream scone. 🙂
Fruit Explosion Garbage Bowl Salad
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 and 1/2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup broccoli slaw
- 1 slice Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons light raspberry vinaigrette dressing
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sliced honey roasted almonds
- 3 tablespoons frozen peas
- 1/4 cup diced green and yellow bell peppers
- 1/4 cup sliced baby carrots
- Handful of red seedless grapes, quartered
- Handful of raisins
- Handful of blueberries
- Handful of sliced strawberries
- Handful of frozen mango chunks
- 1/4 of a red delicious apple, diced
- Place the eggs in a pot of rapidly boiling water and cook for nine to 11 minutes.
- While the eggs are cooking, add all the ingredients to a large bowl. Add the dressing and put the bowl in the fridge.
- When the eggs are done, remove the shells. Eat on the side or cut them up and stir into the salad.
Unlike today, I have a grand Mexican fiesta planned for tomorrow’s Cinco de Mayo dinner. Enchiladas, a crock-pot meal or a spicy casserole are currently contending for the winning spot on the menu. Not to mention, I whipped up a fresh batch of homemade cilantro salsa today that will taste awesome after sitting in the fridge overnight.
Look for the winning entrée and the salsa recipe tomorrow. See you soon!
- What summer jobs did you have growing up (or currently have)?
- What are your plans for Cinco de Mayo?