I promised you a recipe Wednesday, so here it is!
Basil Pesto Sprouts Salad
No lettuce? No problem!
This beautiful mess of a salad is brimming with variety, color and taste. Not to mention, it’s a darn delicious way to meet your veggie quota for the day in one sitting.
Difficulty: Easiest. Salad. Ever.
Preparation time: Five minutes (includes chopping vegetables)
For the salad:
- 1 cup alfalfa sprouts
- 1/4 cup sliced baby carrots
- 1/8 cup diced green pepper
- 1/4 cup diced cucumber
- 1/4 cup diced, fresh Roma tomatoes
- Two ounces deli oven-roasted turkey breast, cut into small slices
- Two tablespoons gorgonzola crumbles
For the dressing:
- Two tablespoons plain hummus (I used Sabra Classic.)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- One to two tablespoons Classico Basil Pesto Sauce and Spread (For thicker dressing, use only one tablespoon.)
- Few dashes ground black pepper
- Few dashes garlic powder
- One dash Mrs. Dash Tomato Basil Garlic salt-free seasoning
- Combine the veggies, gorgonzola and turkey slices in a large bowl.
- In a small separate bowl, stir together the hummus, balsamic vinegar, pesto sauce and spices. Stir until you achieve a uniform consistency.
- Pour the dressing on the salad and toss the ingredients until the dressing is evenly distributed and the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Have you ever made a lettuceless salad?
- If so, what went into it?