Remember this healthy but sinfully delicious french toast from Friday?
Well, I couldn’t leave you hanging, so here’s the recipe, as promised.
Go ahead. Wipe the drool off your mouth, computer screen and keyboard, and walk your butt into the kitchen. I promise you won’t regret it.
By the way, this recipe is perfect for a lazy morning, a special Thanksgiving breakfast or breakfast for dinner (a.k.a. brinner).
Baked Cinnamon Apple French Toast with Peanut Butter
Level of Difficulty: Easy
Total Preparation and Cook Time: 25 – 30 minutes
- Two thick slices of healthy, homemade no-knead oatmeal toasting bread
- One tablespoon natural peanut butter (chunky or creamy)
- One large egg plus one egg white
- One small Granny Smith apple, thin sliced
- One teaspoon cinnamon plus an extra dash for topping
- One tablespoon brown sugar, divided
- Splash of vanilla extract
- Optional: Splash of milk (fat-free, 2%, almond milk, etc.)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a ramekin or medium-sized, oven-safe dish with cooking spray.
- Whisk the egg, egg white, vanilla and cinnamon in a bowl until frothy.
- Take one slice of bread and dip both sides in the egg mixture. Let each side soak long enough to absorb the liquid.
- Place the slice in the bottom of the greased bowl. Spread the peanut butter on the bread. Top with apple slices and 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar.
- Dip both sides of the other slice of bread in the egg mixture. Top with more apple slices, the 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar and a dash of cinnamon.
- Place the remaining apple slices around the bread in the dish. Pour the remaining egg mixture over the bread.
- Place the bowl in the oven uncovered and let bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Splash milk on top, if desired, and devour the apple and peanut butter french toast tower!
- What is your favorite type of apple? (Granny Smith and Pink Lady apples top my list!)
- Have you ever made baked french toast?
Interesting , Healthy French Toast Recipes:
Karen’s Baked Banana Stuffed French Toast – Allrecipes.com
Strawberry Banana French Toast Casserole Recipe – Jeanette’s Healthy Living
Pumpkin Peanut Butter French Toast – Peanut Butter Fingers