If you haven’t noticed, I like to put new twists on my favorite recipes.
I, unlike most people who stick to tried-and-true methods, always feel the urge to mess around in the kitchen to make a recipe better or simply use different ingredients. Just check out the five million ways I reinvent oatmeal almost every day.
With that said, it should be no surprise that I switched up my usual hummus crusted chicken recipe last night while cooking for the family. My spicy version was a big hit, but last night called for something different.
Italian Style Hummus Crusted Chicken with Veggies
Total Preparation and Cook Time: 50 minutes
I wanted to impress but didn’t have the time or energy to cook after unpacking my bags from D.C. Luckily, this recipe was easy; I just threw the veggies in the pan, coated the chicken with hummus, and popped it all in the oven. After 40 minutes, I had my hands on a beautiful meal.
- Two pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into six pieces
- One 16-ounce bag frozen California style vegetables (mixture of broccoli, carrots and cauliflower)
- Six ounces roasted red pepper hummus
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- One cup pasta sauce, any flavor
- One tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- One tablespoon minced garlic
- Mrs. Dash’s Tomato Basil Garlic seasoning blend
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and coat a 9-by-13 inch pan with cooking spray.
- Place frozen veggies on the bottom of the pan (do not thaw).
- Drizzle the oil, balsamic vinegar and pasta sauce on the veggies. Evenly sprinkle the minced garlic on top and add a few dashes of pepper to the mix.
- Place chicken on top of veggies and use a spoon to spread one ounce of hummus on each piece.
- Coat each breast with a few dashes of the tomato basil garlic blend and pepper. Then, sprinkle parmesan on each slice.
- Place pan in the oven and bake uncovered for about 40 minutes or until the center of each slice is no longer pink.
- Serve and eat!
- What’s your favorite hummus flavor?
- What’s your favorite recipe that can be easily prepared but looks like it took all day to make?
Related HGG Posts:
Other Interesting Recipes:
- Homemade roasted garlic hummus (almafication.wordpress.com)
- Hummus Pizza (loveandchickensalad.wordpress.com)
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken Tenders (perspectivesoneatingforhealth.wordpress.com)